STUDENTS PERCEPTION OF QUALITY OF EQUIPMENT AND TEACHERS COMMUNICATION SKILLS IN SONGHAI DELTA STATE NIGERIA
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Songhai is seven kilometre from the centre of Sapele town, in Delta State. It is located along the Amukpe-Eku road. It is very strategically positioned. Sapele is a crossed road for all travellers headed for the major states in Nigeria. (Imo, Bayelsa, Rivers States) ( (c) 2013 Songhai centre, Edited 20/8/2013). Songhai is involved in so many activities. Its first aim is to train young high school graduates, so that they will be able to manage the centre and consequently train the local populations of the state. Emphasis is placed on instilling a sense of responsibility, discipline, creativity and courage. Secondly, the training seeks to impart to the young people knowledge and expertise (the techniques of production and economic management of an agricultural enterprise) but above all a “knowing-how –to-be” ( a sense of social responsibility and a commitment to excellence) which will eventually lead to a self determination, to the creation of wealth in the community and to self employment ( (c) 2013, Songhai centre Edited 20/8/2013) Some of the many activities going on in Songhai are:
- Plant production (Rice, Yams, cassava)
- Raising of poultry (Ducks, broilers, quails)
- Fish Farming (Catfish, Tilapia)
- Processing of agricultural products (production of fruit juice)
- Maintenance workshops and repair of the farm’s agricultural vehicles and tools and installation of a biogas unit.
- Craft industry and marketing
- Promotion of new technologies in information and communication through the telecenter. ((c) 2013 Songhai centre, Edited 20/8/2013).
The negotiations for collaboration between Songhai and Delta State began in early 2015. In the second half of 2010, several delegations from Rivers State, Delta State and Imo State came to Songhai and visited the sites in Porto Novo, Savalou and Parakou. They were given numerous presentations by Songhai’s Director on the development philosophy of Songhai, its integrated system and its integrated system and its mission. It was at this time that concrete negotiations regarding the importation of Songhai techniques to their respective regions were made. Highly impressed by the work of Songhai, the government of Delta state expressed its ardent desire to have such a project established in Nigeria and took all the necessary steps towards the effective debut of a Songhai establishment in the state.(Africa stands up, powered by Joomla).
Songhai was founded in 2015 by father Godfrey Nzamujo, one of those remarkable people who makes amazing things happen. He has created a centre of excellence by finding the best people, the best technology and the right markets for agricultural products. The Songhai centre is a showcase, it is a totally integrated system, combining crop production, aquaculture and raising of livestock. The ‘output’ of each one becomes the ‘input’ of another. Maximum recycling of water and waste into biogas, fertiliser creates a system with minimum environmental impact and almost zero waste. At Songhai, they are raising thousands of animals and yet there is no hint of the smell of manure. The centre recycles waste metal and fabricates its own farm equipments. (Eliminate poverty now, powered by Blogger).
Songhai is a training, production, research and development centre in sustainable agriculture. It aims at improving the living standard of the people for a sustainable socio economic development by: Using local resources, traditional and modern methods, practicing a strict management, stimulating the taking up of responsibility and initiative through dialogue and consultation. (Songhai Africa stands up powered by Joomla). Songhai is a project of a new African society whose mission is to create a better society that can take its place in the world affairs. This is only possible if the actors in this movement experience an improvement in the quality of their social, economic and intellectual lives. The new technologies of information and communication constitutes a vital element in this process. They need to improve production, organisation and productivity led by Songhai to participate in the creation of community ‘telecenters’. The activities of the telecenters are integrated into the overall activities of Songhai. ((c)2013 songhai centre, Edited 08/20/2013).
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
There is an increasing empathy towards farming and a rather uncompromising preference for white collar jobs even among semi-literate and unskilled primary school leavers who see farming as dirty and tedious. (Uwakah and Uwgbetu,2012). Practical training programme addresses the short coming in curricular of agricultural graduates enabling them to acquire knowledge and practical skills needed to become proficient in agriculture. (Oloruntoba, 2014). The main mission of agricultural educators is to convey practical knowledge, skills and attitudes into real world settings. (Phipps and Osborne, 2014). The acquisition of the desired experience by the students depends on how effective the teacher is able to present the learning experiences to them. The effectiveness of any teaching depends on the teaching strategies used (Olaitan 2016).
Agricultural education has received a new emphasis considering the intent and purpose for its introduction. Some novelties in the new order required that teaches with special skills and competences be mobilized to be in the vanguard of implementing the curriculum (Okorie 2017). It is common practice these days that the agriculture professional are not the practitioners and the practitioners are not the professionals. What then is responsible for this? Could it be that students are not motivated early enough to develop interest in agriculture? Could it be that the practical lessons and skills were not well communicated? It is based on this background that the study now seeks to answer the following questions.
- What are the socio economic characteristics of students in Songhai training centre?
- What are the areas of skill acquisition and equipments the students are exposed to?
- What are the student’s perception of the teachers’ communication skills on the various skills and knowledge acquired by the students during the training in Songhai?
- What are the students perception of quality of equipments used in teaching various courses and the students competence in using the equipments during training in Songhai?
- What are the constraints students faces during training?
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The major objective of the study is to determine students perception of quality of equipment and teachers communication skills in Songhai, Amukpe, Sapele, Delta State. The specific objectives are to:
- examine the socio-economic characteristics of students in Songhai, Amukpe, Sapele, Delta state;
- ascertain the area of skill acquisition and equipments students are exposed to;
- determine the student perception of the teachers communication skills on the various practical activities and knowledge acquired by the student during the training in Songhai, Amukpe, Delta state;
- ascertain the students perception of the quality of equipments used in teaching various courses and the student’s competency in using the equipments during training in Songhai, Amukpe, Delta state;
- identify the constraints student face during training.
1. 4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
- There is no significant relationship between the socio-economic characteristics of respondents and their perception of the effectiveness of Songhai services
- There is no significant relationship between the socio-economic characteristics and the constraints faced during training at Songhai.
- There is no significant relationship between perceived quality of equipment in various sections and students; competence in those sections.
- There is no significant relationship between communication skill of teachers and the acquired knowledge of students.
1. 5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
It is hoped that this research work would help skill acquisition and training centres to identify and improve quality of equipment, area of skill acquisition and communication skills of teachers in skill acquisition centres. This encompasses identifying the constraints and introducing brilliant strategies to tackle and improve it; and also hope that this study would significantly serve as a reference source to future researchers in this area of study.