THE PHYSICO CHEMICAL AND ORGANOLEPTIC PROPERTIES OF FLOUR AND FUFU PROCESSE FROM CASSAVE VERIETIES
Fufu is a dough – like consistency prepared from predominantly starchy material by pounding the boiled material or by cooking a non-gelatinized powder or paste icold o hot water (krama and maz 1972) This is usually eaten with soup or (ownueme, 1978) Ngoddy and Ihekoronye 1985) Fufu is important in Nigerian food utilization patterns. It is regarded as “perfect” food all over. Africa (Desikacha, 1975) is thus regarded real in companion to other dishes like garri. Fufu could be made from yam, retted cassava flour, yam flour by pounding boiled tuber or stirring the flour into boiling water (Ihekoeronge and Ngoddy 1985) Another type of fufu (tuwu) is also made from maize, millet or sorghum flour only or mixed with the starch material example cassava flour which will serve as binding agent. Cassava constitute very important high energy food crops because of the starchy content. It is often coveted into other products (Okechukwu et al, 1990) some of the conversion involve moisture uptake steeping or moisture loss drying.
Many households and industrial products that can be made from cassava include meal, chips, flour, pellets and starch is produced in large factories where the sequence of operation can be summarized as follows. Washing of the roots, peeling, grating, extracting the starch setting / washing the starch, refining the starch are generally based on filtration and centrifugation. In recent years a considerable mechanize means of manufacturing garri, fufu, lafun etc. the roots are peeled, greed, pressed, sieved, roasted and sieve without the involvement of manual operation or different ways of preparing it and other products. (IITA, 1994, FURO, 1976)
THE FUTURE OF CASSAVA IN NIGERIA.
In Nigeria, other countries of the world’s future, modified starches that are specially formulated for individual application will continue to find new uses.
Whenever you cassava. In your product, you will be assisting the diversifying the economy and improving the livelihood of millions of poor farmers and rural processors. Nigeria the would largest producer of cassava has to take urgent step to develop the utilization of cassava and to sustainable commercialize the crop. In the industries listed below are cassava bye – products which the industries use in the production.
(1) TEXTILES: Cassava starch is used in the stages of textile processing, sizing the yarn stiffen and protect it during weaving, improving colour consistency during, printing, and making the fabric durable and shining at finishing.
(2) PAPER INDUSTRIES:- Modified starch from cassava is used in wet stage of paper making to flocculate the pulp. In order to improve the rate and the reducing the pulp loss. Native and modified cassava ink consumption to improve print quality.
PLYWOOD: Glue made from cassava starch is a key material in plywood manufacturing. the quality of plywood depends having on the glue that is used.
PHARMACEUTICALS:- Native and modified starches are used as bounders, filers and disintegrating agents for tablet production.
SWEETNERS:- Glucose and fructose made from cassava starch are used as substrates for sucrose in jams and canned fruits cassava based sweeteners are preferred formulators for their improved processing characteristics and product enhancing properties.
BIODEGRADEABLE PRODUCTS:- Cassava starch can be used as a biodegradable polymer to replace plastics in packaging materials.
MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE:- The starch is a common source for non – glutamate in Asia, it is used to enhance flavour in food e.g Ajinomoto.
Confectionery modified cassava starch are often donates starch derivatives and are also used for confectionery for different purposes. Such as thinking and glancing cassava starches are used such as glues and gums.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
(1) The aim of this research work is to produce an instant fufu flour for fufu productions by four different varieties of cassava inoder to know the variety that is good for fufu production.
(2) To determine the chemical composition of the four varieties of cassava.
(3) The physic – chemical and organoleptic properties is determine in order to get the quality and nutritional composition it contains.
(4) To know the variety that the papanelist considers best so from there you will know from result the one the consumer will buy ad that will be more marketable so that you’ll also make gams also.