THE PROBLEMS OF DEBT MANAGEMENT IN FINANCIAL INSTITUTION
This work is to carryout research on debt recovery techniques in the banking sector issues, problems and prospects (A study of Union Bank of Nigeria plc). This research will expose how non-distressed banks bring effective resolution to a distressed bank because of the effective means of recovering the debts. And if there is any loss in one bank, it leads to a loss of confidence in the entire banking system. This research will state the aim at finding solution to the debt and general causes of financial distress in banking sector, and looking into finding last solution. This research work will find out whether banks take loan policy into consideration when granting loans to customers. It will determine the causes of loan decinquency of banks and also analyze the effects of loan requirement and take recommendations for improvement of debt recovery in the banking sector. This research work will determine the problems associated with or difficulty in loan recovery.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Financial institution is that sector of the economy that providing the community with money balance and payment up of the banks and sector of the economy is made up of banks and non-banks financial institutions like financial house, mortgage house and other institutions that provide financial services and intermediation to the various segment of the economy.
In modern society, economic prosperity and progress depend largely on level of savings in a Nation. It happens that someone’s savings is made available to an investor for productive venture like what happens in Commercial Banks. When this happens, a debt is created. A debt has been described as an obligation to made future payment.
It is against the borrower’s promise to make future payment. As a result of this, the owners of these funds face the risk of not getting their money in good time or losses it entirely when the custodian of these funds cannot manage them well hence debt management becomes a singvenon to guarantee the confidence of the individual depositor that his money is safe.
Debt management involves arrangement put in place for repayment of these credit facilities
In the same way, it is also fulfill a wider role in safe guiding the stability of the individual bank and thus the banking system as a whole. At this juncture, the research mentioned that this work is based on the constraints in relation to Debt tagged on the problems of management in Nigeria Financial Institutions (A study of Union Bank of Nigeria Plc. Garden Avenue Enugu).
Recently, the Banking sector undergo a traumatic experience whereby some Banks were judged distressed; this, however was a direct manifestation of improper debt management.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
1. Failure to pay back loan granted by the creditors as and when due.
2. Inability to function well by the bank due to inability of the creditors to pay back.
3. Inadequate measures of working capital management in the bank.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
1. To find out if creditors do not pay back loans as and when due.
2. To expose the reasons behind banks failure to function well.
3. To discover how inadequate the measures of working capital management is.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
1. How can the debtor be considered responsible for their debts management?
2. Will good analysis of trade debt management help to measure an effective working capital management in the financial institution?
3. How does debt exposes banks to credit risks?
4. How will bank managers know the capable borrowers in order not to expose the capital structure of the banks to debt?
5. Can financial institutions apply some measures to recover their money from their borrowers?